Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

Lord Giveth...and Taketh Away

Some time around 3pm today, I got great news form Batgirl: the seller was counter-offering to where we thought they'd go. The decision was easy for her: up the bid another $5K and the house is hers. She sounded so excited. She was getting on the horn with the mortgage broker she was referred to by the realtor, and I was having my buddy The Attorney give her a call to discuss possible closing costs. Before she proceeded, she wanted to let her parents know that this was going to happen.

Some time tonight shortly after 9pm tonight, I found out--it's not going to happen.

Batgirl just left my place a bundle of emotion. She stood her ground for some time, but eventually her parents scared her into thinking she'd go broke and she could not get her "dream" house. While I thought she did her homework to see that the monthly mortgage would fit her budget, apparently they did some math that proved to her the contrary. She now feels like a fool saying she wasted the time of the realtor, of The Attorney, of the mortgage broker, and anyone else she came across. She feels stuck, like she just can't go forward.

I'm quite pissed right now. I'm pissed she doesn't get the support from her parents. I'm pissed because I feel like the indefinite future of our relationship (are we or aren't we getting married) is keeping her in an apartment above her grandparents. I think that no matter what Batgirl wants to do, no matter the price of a house, even if it was a condo, she'd be shot down by her folks. I told her that to. I also said if the two of us were buying a house as a married couple, and it was another $100K more, they'd probably discourage it. That's when I followed up with this vow:

"I'm going to tell you right now: NOBODY is going to tell me and my wife we can't buy a house if we want to."

Even moree comical was that they discouraged her from getting a part time job delivering flowers. While it turned out to be a bad area and she won't pursue it, the woman is trying to take the time to make it work so she can be a homeowner. I can't ever picture my parents discouraging me from trying to make extra cash. In fact, they drive me night about the fact I choose not to have a side job! I'll tell you--our parents are night and day with their philosophies.

So, I'm a bit disappointed tonight for my girl. She really had her heart set on this house, but the force of her parents' influence was just too great overcome. Their remaining single child is still under their control. I hope their happy, because I can tell you right now that their daughter and her boyfriend are not.

posted by That 30's Guy @ 10:28 PM,

|

<< Home