Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

Batgirl Takes a Big Step

Batgirl has decided to take the plunge. She's taken the step forward to try and become a homeowner.

After another brief episode of unexpected and unnecessary drama concerning the subject of the house on Sunday morning, Batgirl stiffened her upper lip and made the decision to make an offer. She had taken her dad to see it on Saturday, and his opinion was that the house was a "money pit" and too much house for one person. I wasn't surprised by this, but at least she didn't come away from the viewing as upset as she was on Tuesday night when she broke the news to her parents that she may buy a house.

I agree it's a lot of house for one person, but for the price she might be paying (if the bid is accepted), it's worth the shot. It's a house we could grow into together should we decide to get married. We both want kids, so what better place to be in? I didn't see the money pit side of his point of view. With a home inspection, there should be plenty indication of whether or not the place is a Tom Hanks-Shelly Long movie in the making.

The realtor she's working with is a pretty honest guy, and he is working in conjunction with the agent who was hired by the seller. While young, he knows his shit, and gave some sound advice on the directions she could take. Even if she doesn't get the place, she at least knows she put her best foot forwared. I'm expecting that by some time tonight, she'll know if the seller refused outright, or wants to counter offer. Until then, she's making the wise decision to keep Sunday's events quiet from the parents. I warned her she should expect them to criticize the move, but remember that this is what she wants and if she's made a well-informed decision, then they can shove it. I think she's done her homework.

As for me, if she succeeds with the bid, it will mean that I need to get my ass moving on the home renovations my bro and I have been dragging our feet on. Batgirl will need a hand in getting her house ready. Lucky for her, she lives in a place rent-free right now that won't be forcing her to get out. She can do the painting/cleaning/minor cosmetic work she needs before moving in too quickly. I'd just hate to leave all the work to Batgirl, her dad, brother and brother-in-law while I deal with my obligations to my place.

I know she's scared that this could be the wrong move, but I think any time you make a purchase like this, it's a risk. I was never sure I made the right move to buy a house until the last year. My house actually helped get me out of a potentially bad financial situation early last year. I know I can't afford a house alone, but Batgirl has a lot of money saved and next fall will be getting a substantial raise. She'll be just fine if she can get through the first half of 2007 okay. The main thing here is she'll be taking a big step forward, living in a place where she won't be under someone's microscope, be able to have her dog living with her again, and most importantly, feel independence.

posted by That 30's Guy @ 11:38 PM,

|

<< Home