Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

Another Will Bite The Dust

It's been a week since I was able to sit down at my home computer and do a post for you. Unfortunately it is nearly midnight and I need to gets me some sleep. Really quick though...

Big news from the last week is that my longtime pal, Master K, finally decided to ask his girlfriend of the last two years, Shep, to marry him. I got the call on Friday night that he was going to do it the next day. A part of me was happy for him, but another part of me was just...numb. The cold relationship between his fiance and my girlfriend tempered my enthusiasm. It has me in a tough position. While Shep has never deliberately given me attitude, I did notice her demeanor towards Batgirl when we celebrated Master K's 30th. In fact, not long after we arrived at their condo, she sort of went into hiding and later made little effort to welcome me, at the very least. I had to approach her.

In addition, I have heard from my very good friend, Ren, that Master K's stepdad (a good man who has been a second father to K) questions the motives of his future daughter-in-law. When you compound that with the fact Master K's mom does not have the best of relationships with Shep, it's hard to really get too excited. I know there is a part of her who wants to go back to Chicago (where she's from and where the two met), although those cries to go home have subsided since the couple purchased their condo in NH. My friend's homesickness--and great job offer--was ultimately what brought the two back so he would be closer to his family and friends. The talks about going back to Chi-town led to Shep and Mama K to have a showdown a time ago, according to K's sister. Since then, their relationship has not been the best.

Of course, with the aid of alcohol, Batgirl got pretty emotional about the news of the pending engagement once I hung up the phone. I can't figure out why, but I think part of it was because 2007 is now shaping up to be another year with events & weddings: my cousin in June, and possibly this one. The feelings towards the bride compounds the problem. She wanted to know how it is I can let my friend make this mistake (in her eyes). My response was simply, it's not my decision to make, nor have I seen her do anything to harm my friend. I have only the opinions of others, including Batgirl's.

So now, with the likelihood I am going to have a role in this wedding, and there will no doubt be events coming up like engagement parties and who knows what in the near future, I certainly have a juggling act on my hands. I never wanted to do this, but I think I'm going to have to have a heart-to-heart with my old pal about the obvious tensions between our loves, and how it's going to be handled. I know Batgirl has discouraged this idea for it may make matters worse. Thing is, Master K has been a good friend to me for over 20 years; almost like a brother. This is a major event in his life, and I want to be there to support him. On the other side of the coin, I'm a bit insulted by the unjustified treatment my girl gets from the bride-to-be, and those words of others can't help but make me wonder if this woman really has the devotion and proper motives to be a spouse to my friend.

Anyone else ever been in a predicament like this?

posted by That 30's Guy @ 12:24 AM,

|

<< Home