Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

Workloads, Home Improvements, and Heart

I wish I could update like I used to, but the fact of the matter is that I'm just drained after being on edge at work all day long. Sitting at my desk typing after doing it throughout the day is just not as appealing as it once was. Attribute that to turning 30 and soon to be 31, I guess. The last month has been nothing short of chaotic, with my workload being almost unmanageable. There is light at the end of the tunnel, however.

Last Thursday I trained someone on how to do the same job as me, and her function will be to share in my workload. She's being promoted from within, although I have my doubts about how she'll end up doing in this job. English is her second language, and in a job where you need to be able to convey telecommunications to the everyday small business owner, clear and clever ways of putting things is a must. I hope she does ok, but the promotion seems to me to be a decision made in desperation. The guy who I've known about being moved to my department comes on board in another week, so if I can hang on, I think life will become a little smoother.

Since it seems like I have nothing but negative things to talk about here when it comes to Batgirl and our relationship, I thought I'd convey to the audience the type of girl I have. This past Sunday, I tried my hardest to be a Mr. Fix It and tackle the upstairs toilet in Batgirl's house the one day wouldn't stop running after her brother dropped a deuce in that bathroom. Luckily, it flushed, but the damn toilet kept running. The valve was shut off and had been that way since February. I figured it was about time to TCOB. I went online, printed up some tips on how to fix it. Unfortunately, I saw nothing that provided a clue as to what the problem was.

Frustrated, I called my dad to see if he had any time to swing by and give me a hand. He told me it wouldn't be for another couple of hours, so I went outside to replace one of my headlights. The bulb had burned out after nearly 5 years (pretty good lifespan, eh?). Unlike the ease the owner's manual suggested, it became nearly impossible without a few more tools Batgirl didn't have. I would have to wait for dear old dad. Man did I feel useless.

At about 5:30--more than three-plus hours after I had called, That 30's Dad showed up with my mom being an unexpected guest. While Batgirl and That 30's Mom chit-chatted in the living room, my father and I figured out the whole float system needed to be yanked out. It was going to be a mad dash to the nearest Home Depot before they clsoed. By the time we finished it was just after 7pm. None of us had eaten, but Batgirl didn't have anything quick to prepare. My parents had chicken marinating at home, so they told Batgirl not to worry, she didn't have to cook anything up for them. Batgirl insisted though as she was so grateful for my dad going out of his way and getting the toilet working. She told them she'd bring dinner over to them on Monday night, especially since my dad was getting a minor procedure done on his knee.

Boy did she ever thank them. She whipped up a combo of linquine, shrimp prepared in garlic and oil, mushrooms, and a vodka sauce. In addition, she brought over salad and Italian bread, complete with olive oil and the seasonings for dipping. Of course, yours truly had to drop in after work to have the leftovers. Point is, she didn't have to go so over the top, especially when she had to scramble home after work in order to prep the meal, then drive it over to the parents' place. Plus, she didn't even take out a portion for herself. Because she has such a kind and generous heart, she felt it was the right thing to do. That's one of the traits about her that I so admire.

posted by That 30's Guy @ 9:33 PM,

|

<< Home