Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

Super-sized Post

My long absences from posting has probably dwindled down my readership to 7 loyal readers. I honestly have been trying to get to the computer to post, but once I sit at my desk after 7pm, get caught up on reading my favorite sports, humor and trash sites, it's too damn late to be banging away at a keyboard. I'm gonna try to make up for it tonight, especially since tomorrow (or today, depending on when you read this) is Thursday and everyone knows few bloggers get to read or post anything with the weekend just a day away. Where do I begin...

Lamer Duck. You'll recall from my last post that I have been struggling with my future in regards to living arrangements. Well, this past weekend that feeling strengthened. After spending all of Sunday away from my house, I got home late Sunday night. My brother and his girlfriend had already retired to his bedroom for the night following "The Sopranos." I went to my refrigerator to get a drink, and to my surprise I see on the door...two photos of my brother's girlfriend. One was of the two of them embracing, the other of her raising her arms in some sort of celebratory manner. If I didn't feel like I was being pushed out of the house before, I truly was now.

Let me take inventory. Her shampoo, body wash, deodorant, razor, and toothbrush are in the bathroom. My brother and her did some landscaping in the front yard last weekend without telling me they were going to do that. Early on Sunday, they removed our coats from the closet in the kitchen to put up shelves and make it a pantry without telling me. On the window sill above the kitchen sink is some girly plaque that reads "Home is where your story begins." Now, I have no choice but to have her presence shoved in my face every time I want to stuff my face.

Wow. I suddenly feel like a guest in my own house. How does one, who is expecting to move out in the coming future, go to his own brother and say,"Don't you think your girlfriend is imposing on our living space just a little too much?" For Batgirl's faults when it comes to relating to other women close to her own age, I think she got the right read on my possible future sister-in-law. She noted how quickly this girl stuck her toothbrush in the toothbrush holder after she and my brother began to see each regularly, almost like a soldier claiming victory on foreign soil by staking a flag. If she saw the photos on the fridge of her boyfriend's home, she'd freak. I think I agree with her assessment that this girl is a bit insecure, and agree that this is her way of claiming her stake in my brother's life. Anyone who comes around here is going to know, he has a woman and is off-limits.

As for Batgirl, she never asked if she could leave any of her things here out of respect for my brother (and our roommate who moved out last Spring). She's never tried to stick up pictures she gave me of herself or the two of us anywhere in the house--and even in that she left it up to me to hang them. All I have, and need, is a 5" x 8" photo of us at her friend's wedding on my dresser.

I admit I haven't been around here much on weekends, nor been proactive about home improvements in recent months, but I think this is beginning to push the envelope. Batgirl really needs my assistance with her house, and I am surely putting that ahead of my own place's needs since she's on her own at her home. However, until I'm ready to get engaged, this is where I will live 75% of my days. I think I deserve the consideration.

Inconvenient Wedding. Yesterday, Vegas sent out an informational email to all of his groomsman, pertaining to the schedule for his wedding weekend in Vermont. As I feared, he is scheduling the Friday rehearsal for a very inconvenient 5pm. This all but secures a potential conflict for Batgirl and I. The week before Labor Day weekend (the weekend of the wedding) is when school gets back in session for Batgirl. I question she will be able to take a vacation day so soon. If she can't get that Friday off, I don't see her willing to drive up all that way alone. I am required to be up for rehearsal, so this poses a big problem.

I want my girlfriend to be up there with me, but I don't want to put her through the stress of taking time off so soon for the next school year when this one isn't even over yet, especially for a wedding I know she isn't all that enthused about giving up our holiday weekend for. What I don't get is the ceremony is going to be at 6pm Saturday night, followed immediately by the reception. Why not do the rehearsal the next morning? Now, I have to spend an extra $100+ for a 2nd night in the hotel. I don't know. The more I look at my August, which will be 3 weddings in 4 weeks, I'm beginning to agree with Batgirl: weddings can be nothing but an inconvenient and expensive pain in the ass.

Saturday Night is All Right For...Staying In. The last few weekends, Batgirl and I have had a great time, but it isn't from going out on the town. For Cinco De Mayo, we just drank a few margaritas with a Mexican feast we cooked up. The week before, I made us a half a pitcher of Mojito. Last weekend, we polished off a big bottle of Merlot with steaks we cooked on the grill. Oddly, I've been cool with these types of stay at home Saturday nights. I never was someone who liked to stay in on a Saturday. Of course, that was a time I wasn't trying to keep spending down.

The gain from this, beside savings, is the amount of talking we've done. During the week, we mainly talk on the phone and don't see a lot of each other. The weekends is when we tend to spend our quality time. This past Saturday was a good night as the buzz from the wine got us to talk openly about our past relationships, names we want for our kids, and sex. Oh yeah, and the sex has been great the last two weekends to boot. To follow up our great night, I surprised Batgirl with a Mother's Day bouquet of orange roses (she likes those type flowers) and a card from her dog. She really ate it up.

Still, there remains the specter of the talk we need to have: the one about marriage. I really think I'm beginning to become more at ease about the idea of settling down, however we have a host of things we need to get out on the table. I've been researching what goes into buying a diamond, what I need to know, and what I could potentially be paying. I just can't pinpoint when and how I can put money towards a ring or a wedding. I have loved the peace and passion we've had these last couple of weeks, but there remains that small part of me in constant stress that at any moment, she'll apply pressure on when I'm finally going to make the big proposal. I guess I can liken this next step I have to take to skydiving: you are standing at the open door, looking out into the big, blue sky then the scary drop below. All you have to do is take that first step and everything happens fast.

It's the unknown of how you'll handle that drop that makes it scary the most.

A New Blog On The Horizon? I've been doing some thinking. I love sports, as some of you know, or could tell from some of my comparisons or references. I also love to make my opinions known when it comes to the comings and goings in the sports world. While it's good to get the personal shit off my chest here, an excellent blog a friend of mine writes has got me to thinking I should do a sports blogs. Nothing but sports, and sprinkle in a little sex and pop culture when it's of male interest.

Back in February, my friend Big O wondered why I hadn't got into the blogging craze yet since my takes on sports are usually very entertaining (my friends don't know about this blog, and I like to keep it that way). Ever since, I've been considering the idea and the plan has been picking up some steam. Obviously, some free time will need to open up for maintenance of two blogs, so it's likely I'd keep the updates on an every 2-3 day basis, unless something of note happens that compels me to react. Also, no long posts like the one you've been reading. I just don't have the time or patience. Just thought I'd make it know. Unfortunately, folks, that blog would be for the buds, and those they refer to it, to read only. Not everything needs to be anonymous.

posted by That 30's Guy @ 11:24 PM,

|

<< Home