Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

Tit-alating Tidbits

Wow, it felt so good to post the other day that I thought I'd do it again. A few things to comment on today.

First, I just got off the phone with Batgirl, and she got word today that her 6-year-old black lab has a large cyst growing on her side. We discovered the growth this past weekend, and as coincidence would have it, the dog was scheduled to go in for a follow-up appointment today after her booster shot 2 weeks ago. Needless to say, it will require surgery and the cost is an astronomical $800-$1,100. This is clearly money that Batgirl, who owns a house, can't really afford to drop, however it is necessary. She is going to get a 2nd opinion and quote from an animal hospital.

I'm actually a bit shook up to hear this. I know how much the dog means to Batgirl, and I've come to like the dog to. She is so happy and playful. I'm really hoping that this turns out to be benign.

Secondly, you may recall that more than a month ago I told you about how my senior year college roommate, "The Politician," had decided to not attend our friend Vegas' wedding on Labor Day weekend. Well, out of nowhere last night, Politician called me and we spoke for over 2 hours. We hadn't taken time out to have a conversation in a very long time, not counting Super Bowl Sunday when we attended the wake of the father of our friend Gian. Since that day, I learned about his decision to bail on Vegas wedding, even though he was asked to be a groomsman.

Apparently, as part of his job, Politician travels a ton. I never realized how much until last night. As a matter of fact, he's on business about an hour north of where I live and he called because he was hoping we could meet up. For Vegas wedding, Politician is going to have to travel up to Vermont all the way from the Jersey Shore not long after coming home from another business trip. With his wife's friend also getting married the same day, Politician is opting to do that because instead of it taking up 3 or 4 days of his holiday weekend, it will only be that Saturday night where they'd be in a hotel, and be able to drive back an hour so to get home on Sunday morning. Couple that with the fact that Politician and his wife, Mo, don't make a lot of money, I'm now seeing his point as to why he is choosing not to.

Now, I don't approve of bowing out on a friend's wedding, but apparently Vegas hasn't really given him a whole lot of opportunities to hear him out. Knowing Vegas and how immaturely he can react to things, it doesn't surprise me. I did tell Politician I was disappointed that he would not be a part of longtime friend's biggest day, but followed up by saying that he is a grown man with a responsibility to his wife and his own well-being. If they're having a tough time financially, then being a part of a wedding that will require multiple nights in a hotel room, tux rental, gas, and anything else a weekend trip amounts to, I guess I can't blame him.

I want to extend a quick thank you for those who commented on my Saturday post. There was some excellent points, and a couple really hit home. There is no doubt that Batgirl and I need to discuss our stance on some topics that are certainly going to come up in the years that would follow the big party that is a wedding day. We definitely agree on 2-3 kids (I prefer 2, and sense we may be too old by the time we could go for a third), but have not talked about wedding size, where we'd have it, etc. I already can see the wedding party being a big problem. I have a half-a-dozen buddies who are like brothers to me, while the closest women to her in her life are her sister, sister-in-law and then a few others who are in their 50's. How strange a group photo would that be?! It's obvious, we have a ways to go, and I think the next time it comes up I will have to point out that the romanticism is outweighing the important stuff that need to be discussed.

Lastly, ending my post on a positive note, one of my managers was going through customer satisfaction surveys that our customer's fill out upon completion of services, and apparently I was getting nearly 100% satisfaction for feedback. It was quite gratifying to hear since I had never learned about any of the results before, and knowing how much busting my ass is appreciated by the customers is a very good feeling. I only wish my review was right around the corner because I could use a raise right about now. July or August is an awfully long way off.

posted by That 30's Guy @ 8:29 PM,

|

<< Home