Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

Merry Christmas

It's amazing how time flies in the week leading up to Christmas.

I know that today is probably a write-off for most of you in the office, or maybe you're going to be like me and frantically try to get caught up so that next week is a breeze. Either way, what better day for me to do one last update for the work week?

Since my last post, I went to see Rocky Balboa, discovered a very attractive co-worker, and got pretty close to completion of Christmas shopping.

To start with the latest "Rocky" movie, it was far better than that disaster known as Rocky V. I'm convinced Stallone did not title this new chapter Rocky VI because he wanted us all to forget the fifth film. I got goosebumps when the traditional trumpets began to play at the start of the movie, and a big smile came to my face during Rocky's traditional training montage. I know the audience felt the same as me as there were people who clapped at the start of the film, and there were those who applauded at the start of the fight when Rocky was introduced to the fictional audience.


The main things I walked away with from this film was this: it's underlying message was about moving forward, which is ironic since it's advisable Sly not make another Rocky flick. Ever. Secondly, the film incorporated ESPN coverage as part of the story to give it that present-day feel. The fight was filmed as if it were on HBO with Larry Merchant and Jim Lampley calling the action at ringside. I thought that was a cool aspect. Finally, you couldn't help but get that warm, fuzzy feeling with all the nostalgia recalled from the past movies--mainly Rocky I and II. Believe it or not, Batgirl has never seen any of the previous "Rocky's," and I think this one has peaked interest to see them.

My final assessment: it's fifth place among the six in the series, however it's not too far from Rocky IV. If you loved Rocky III & IV, you'll love Rocky Balboa to close it out. Next....

The hot co-worker...yeah. She got hired a couple of weeks ago, but since she had been brought on, I had been moved upstairs. She looks younger than 30, but I learned from our conversation the other night while our department was out that she is already divorced. There was never a mention of a boyfriend, which automatically makes her more attractive that she is on the market. Alas, I am not, and it looks like I have to come to grips that it will be better to look than touch. Besides, it's never advisable to "dip into the company ink."

I'll be looking forward to the "How's she looking today?" question being answered daily.

Finally, Christmas. This will be my first Christmas in love. I can only recall one other time in my life when I had a girlfriend during this time of year, but that was back in '99, and we'd only been together for about a month or so. We were never in love. With Batgirl, we're looking at 11 months together on the day she closes on her house next week. Pretty fucking amazing how fast this year has gone by.

The toughest part about this year's Christmas is figuring out how we are going to divide the time between the families, friends, and us alone. I already know we'll be spending the early evening of Christmas Eve with her family, then it's on to the wild party my parents host each Christmas Eve. Her family was invited to come for whole night, but they declined to attend. They are nice people, but a bit socially off. They prefer their inner circle only, which is where I now see Batgirl gets her behavior from.

My friends, on the other hand, have built up the parents' "open house" into a favorite event of theirs. It's got to the point they hype it up to others when we all get together just prior to the holiday. Batgirl's heard much about this event and is curious to see what all the hubbub is about. Even my mom wrote up some type of press release about the party on a Christmas card to Batgirl's folks in an attempt to get their family to come over.

Anyhow, the only buzzkill will be that I know Master K will stop by with Shep. My friends tend to arrive late after spending the evening with their families. Most of the party-goers are leaving the house when they come in. In no time, the guests will consist only of my friends and my brother and sister, huddled up at my dad's bar in the gameroom. I'm concerned how Batgirl will handle this since there won't be many options for her to avoid Shep. Otherwise, we should have much to look forward to in our first Christmas together.

Oh, and for those who want to know what I got my lady, I went with a diamond necklace, a couple of sweaters ("snugly" fitting of course), and an Elizabeth Arden perfume gift package. I will also be getting her a "welcome " mat for her house, and make a CD copy of this slide show set to music that I made her for our 6-month anniversary this summer.

Enjoy your families, your friends, your special someones this weekend. I will check back in with you next week as I look back on my year. 2006 was certainly a big year for me as my life saw some major changes. A lot happened that has helped me grow up more and see things more different than I did at this time one year ago.

Merry Christmas everyone.

posted by That 30's Guy @ 6:00 AM,

|

<< Home