Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

The Start of Four Loooong Weeks (But For A Good Cause)

I guess I was due to get busy again. After about a month-long breather, this weekend begins a four-week spand where Batgirl and I spend each weekend going on the road. Unfortunately, we're not talking an hour or less of driving.

This weekend, we are heading to Jersey for my pal Gian's wedding. More on that later.

Next weekend, we go north of Jersey into Upstate NY for my friend Tall Paul's suprise 30th.

The weekend after we go further north into Northern New England for Master K's 30th!

Finally, the long-awaited football trip to Hot-lanta to see Big Blue bring the Falcons back down to Earth.

For as much fun as I expect us to have, I'm actually dreading the wear and tear this will have on us. Three consecutive weekends of driving, followed by two flights is not my idea of time well spent. However, the friends we are celebrating are all important to me, and would be there for me if I needed them.

Gian: After a bout a 5 year courtship, he ties the knot with his girlfriend. I remember the night I met the guy like it was yesterday. He lived on my floor in the dorm freshman year, and he hopped on the same taxi bus as my friend Van and I. We talked a while during the wait, and on the ride over to the bar. We didn't see him again the rest of the night, and found him a mess outside the bar. Being good guys and knowing he lived on our floor, we got him in the taxi, dragged him across campus, and threw him in the arms of his roommate (and another eventual good college buddy) Big O and said,"He's all yours now!"

Ah yes. A friendship was born. Well, two actually. After that night, I became good friends with both guys, and shared houses with them the next two years. In the years as friends, we've been a support to each other as we struggled through rough times financially, miserable jobs, and breakups. He's found a good woman with a great heart. Another wedding day for a good friend has come.

Tall Paul: I also met TP freshman year of college. Even though he was from NY, I used to jokingly insist he was lying and was really from CT "because he was a tool." That joke began one night when I was drunk, and has lived on. We shared a house freshman year. He always lended me a sympathetic ear. His dad helped me do my taxes when I worked in NY. He and his dad took me to my first ever Giants game (even though it was the annual Jets-Giants pre-season game, and they are Jets fans). I was one of the first of the college crew to meet his eventual wife. More recently, he made the trip out for my 30th, even though his wife has a death in her family. He drove out, stayed as long as he could, and went back that night. He didn't have to come considering the circumstances, but he came because he wanted to.

Master K: What can I say about one of my oldest friends. There just isn't enough time and space. He's been like a brother. He's always believed in me, supported me, and we always find ways to crack each other up. One thing I always remember is last November when my long-distance girlfriend broke up with me, he called me twice that day to make sure I was doing all right, and encourage me to move on and pick up some young college chicks.

He broke the news to me last Friday that he has put the down payment on a ring for his girlfriend of two years, who moved to New England with him from Chicago. The two were going back to the Windy City for the weekend, and it was there he'd ask her dad for her hand in marriage (I know some you girls already voice your opinions on that). He must have called me three times while he was out there. Nerves, I'd assume. He is by far one of my most successful friends professionally, and I'm proud of him. Most of all, I'm proud to call him a friend.

Where Are They Now?

Before I go though, I was surprised when I tripped upon this update on where someone has ended up. In a "Where Are They Now?"-type feature I may do from time to time, I want to reveal to all my sports enthusiast readers that Melissa Stark, the HOT former Monday Night Football sideline reporter who made guys go Ga-Ga, is now anchoring on MSNBC. May I add, she's looking better than ever! If you're like me, your TV is usually tuned to ESPN a lot more than MSNBC, so to me--this was news.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

posted by That 30's Guy @ 8:03 PM,

|

<< Home