Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

That 30's Guy's Picks-NOT-To-Click: The NFC

I know you've all been waiting with "bated breath" (which is also the name of a blog I highly recommend visiting if you dig the HNT phenomenon) for my NFC picks as we are down to about 24 hours to the real official kickoff of the 2006 NFL season. Since it's a beautiful day outside, and I feel like shit frankly, let's cut to the chase:

NFC EAST
  1. NY Giants
  2. Dallas Cowboys
  3. Philadelphia Eagles
  4. Washington Redskins

I know a lot of you had a pretty good sense that I'd go with Big Blue to take the division. Let me just say that I'm not one of those yahoo's who just blindly pick their favorite team to win. I honestly do think this team is going to take the division, and make a run deep into the playoffs. Sure, a lot people are rolling with the Dallas Cowboys, but the reality is, they have Drew Bledsoe at QB, a ticking time-bomb at receiver who is capable of killing a locker room, and less than spectacular running backs. I respect the defense, but if your offense puts the D in predicaments enough, eventually that will weaken the team's strength on D. Rounding out the division, I know a lot of "experts" are singing the praises of the Redskins, but I really don't see it. They have a QB in his twilight, and I think that will ultimately be the difference between them contending for a wildcard and finish in fourth. I hate the Eagles, but I think last season was killed by injuries and the T.O. fiasco. 2006 is a new year.

NFC NORTH

  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Minnesota Vikings
  3. Detroit Lions
  4. Green Bay Packers

The Bears are a QB away from being an elite team. We saw in the playoffs last season and this season's preseason games that Rex Grossman has a ways to go. I think there will be a Brian Griese sighting about 6 games into the season. Da Bearz won't be as good as they were a year ago, but with the remaining teams in their division, they can go 10-6 and take the top spot. The Vikes will be competitive, but there's really nothing about this team that excites me. The whole Koren Robinson saga from a couple of weeks ago cost them of their playmaker on offense, and I'm not so sure Chester Taylor is a feature back. Detroit is still in rebuilding mode, with a new head coach and staff. However when you have an assistant coach who's been arrested TWICE in one week's time (first time for driving nude, the second for DWI), and is not fired, you get the sense things won't change in the immediate future. Green Bay is horrible. Period.

NFC SOUTH

  1. Carolina Panthers
  2. Tampa Bay Bucs
  3. Atlanta Falcons
  4. New Orleans Saints

I love what John Fox has done with the Carolina Panthers since he arrived in 2002. While I wish he could have remained with the NY Giants as an assistant until Jim Fassel was fired a couple of years ago, the man was due to be a head coach. A lot of people are picking the Panthers to go to the big dance, but let's look deeper: they have a QB who has propensity for throwing picks, durability questions about their running backs, TWO hammy injuries nagging their top receiver Steve Smith, and a secondary that absolutely needs the front seven to pressure the QB in order to succeed. They're still go enough to among the NFC elite, but they're not the clear cut choice experts are making them out to be. The Bucs are not a team that made great moves in the offseason. They're more like the same team they were a year ago. That equals another 2nd place finish. In Atlanta, as long as Michael Vick plays in a system that doesn't fit him, this team won't emerge back into the NFC elite. New Orleans is in a rebuilding phase, though it will be interesting to see how Reggie Bush adjusts in his first NFL season, and how new QB Drew Brees has recovered from his shoulder injury suffered last December when he was a Charger.

NFC WEST

  1. Seattle Seahawks
  2. Arizona Cardinals
  3. St. Louis Rams
  4. San Francisco 49ers

Seattle still has the pieces in place that made them the NFC Champs last season. I'm not huge on their receivers, even if they do manage to snag Deion Branch from the Patriots, as has been rumored. They lost a Pro-Bowl guard in the offseason, but that's not enough to upend a team. Besides that, just like the Bears, they're in a division that just doesn't play on any level close to them. A lot of people are probably pushing the Cardinals, and while I love their offense, I have to ask where the defense is? Signing Edgerrin James from the Colts certainly helps the Red Birds eat the clock and keep that D off the field, but eventually you have to stop someone. The Rams are about to enter a rebuilding phase, while the 49ers are in the middle of one. Both teams will give the Cards a tough time, and maybe scare Seattle once, but neither team gets my attention. It wouldn't shock me if the Niners step it up this season and take 3rd place, but that's the best I can see. for them. It all depends on if Alex Smith improves his QB play in his 2nd NFL season.

NFC Champions: The New York Giants

posted by That 30's Guy @ 11:52 AM,

|

<< Home