Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

That 30's Guy's Picks-NOT-To-Click

In continuing with the football theme started last night, I thought I'd give my brief analysis of the upcoming NFL season. As I said last night, I have reason to be excited as a New York Giants fan. We have a good, young and (hopefully) improving QB in Eli Manning, an array of receivers that will make many QB's around the league jealous, a do-it-all running back in Tiki Barber, a quick and aggressive defense with two stud pass-rushing DE's, and an improved (on paper) linebacking corps and secondary. Not to mention, a little point to prove after having their asses handed to them in the playoffs last season by the Carolina Panthers.

Of course, on the way to the playoffs, the G-men have a brutal schedule to start 2006. As early as week one, in prime time on NBC, Big Blue get to host a team most of the country is picking to win the Super Bowl. That's right; the Indiananpolis Colts take their high-power offensive act to the Meadowlands in this battle of Brother vs. Brother (Eli's older bro Peyton QB's for the Colts). I am excited about the game, but not overly optimistic about the prospects of a win. You know what? That may be a good thing because at least the Giants will know right away that they have to earn their way back to the playoffs. I'm very confident the refurbished defense will eventually gel, Eli will emerge as a bona fide star QB, and Big Blue will erase the memory of an opening game loss should that happen.

Without further delay, here are That 30's Guys "Picks-NOT-To-Click." Hey; if you want to wager using my predications, then bet at your own risk.

AFC EAST

  1. New England Patriots
  2. Miami Dolphins
  3. Buffalo Bills
  4. NY Jets

I'm never impressed with the Patsies' receivers, and with the disgruntled Deion Branch holding out, I'm even less enamored. They also lost "Mr. Clutch" Adam Vinatieri, one of their defensive leaders in Willie McGinnest, and their stud running back Corey Dillon has shown signs of breaking down. Why do I pick them? Well, first because they always seem to prove me wrong when I go against them. Secondly, their division is a two-team race. Third, that second team (the Dolphins) has more questions about them, such as the knee of their new QB Daunte Culpepper, the effectiveness of a mediocre offensive line, a lack of real talent at receiver outside Chris Chambers, and an aging defense in the process of change. I have to stick with the Patsies.

AFC NORTH

  1. Cincinnati Bengals
  2. Pittsburgh Steelers
  3. Baltimore Ravens
  4. Cleveland Browns

This is history folks. For the first time ever, I am drinking the Bengals' Kool-Aid. Carson Palmer look awesome last Monday night in his first game back since having his knee busted by the Steel Curtain in the playoffs. They made attempts to improve the D, while the reigning World Champions didn't make much of an effort to keep up with changes around the league. That's never a good thing. Beyond that, their star QB-Big Ben Roethlisberger-is coming back from severe injuries suffered in a June motorcycle accident, and an emergency appendectomy a couple of days ago that will keep him out likely the first two weeks. I think the talent is there for them to go 1-1, but it just seems to me the Bengals are ready to take that next step.

AFC SOUTH

  1. Indianapolis Colts
  2. Jacksonville Jaguars
  3. Houston Texans
  4. Tennessee Titans

This may be one of the lousiest divisions in football. You have the Colts...and then everyone else. You can forget about Houston; they passed on Reggie Bush and now they have no running back that scares defenses. The Titans? The high school team from Remember The Titans would fare better. While I respect the Jaguars' toughness, this is a team that just can't score. When you're in a division with the Colts, you have to be able to score some points. Sure, they always play Peyton and Co. tough, but the Jags receivers and backs don't scare me, and the Colts' does. I also think the Indy D is going to continue its development since Tony Dungy arrival a few years ago. Even though I don't like the fact they lost Edgerrin James to free agency and now have two rather questionable backs to carry the load, it's hard for me to look around the AFC and see a team better than the Colts. Then again, I said that heading into the playoffs last season....

AFC WEST

  1. Denver Broncos
  2. Kansas City Chiefs
  3. San Diego Chargers
  4. Oakland Raiders

Like the Colts, the Broncos are just that much better than everyone else in the division. While I think Jake Plummer is never going to be a QB destined for a championship, he's at least giving Denver a chance at one. I like the defense, I like the acquisition of Javon Walker as a new target for Plummer, and I think the backs can get the job done. Had the Bolts not let Drew Brees walk in favor of the inexperienced Phillip Rivers, I'd say the Chargers have a great shot. Unfortunately, the front office needed to justify trading away Eli Manning for Rivers. The screwy thing is they didn't sign a veteran QB to back the kid up. Could be a big risk. The Chiefs will continue to regress even though they have a new coach in Herm Edwards. I like the guy's enthusiasm, but he didn't get the job done with the Jets and I don't see what he'll be able to pull off here in his first season. Larry Johnson is the fantasy football stud coming into 2006, but was that monstrous run over the last half of 2005 a mirage? The Raiders...I think they're one of the worst run franchises in sports. I don't like the QB, the O-line, the coaching staff, the defense. Nothing. I think they'll be among the bottom 5 teams in the NFL this season.

AFC Champs: Indianapolis Colts

Next: the NFC picks (hmmm, I wonder who will win the NFC East?)

posted by That 30's Guy @ 9:22 PM,

|

<< Home