Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

Making the Effort

Batgirl and I finally had our talk about her socializing with the significant others of my friends. What precipitated the conversation was Nern's fiance asked him to get Batgirl's cell phone number so she could invite her out with the girls for the bachelorette party on Saturday night. I hesitated, then tossed out the possibility that she wouldn't be able to go since it was last minute, and she doesn't really know everyone and it may be uncomfortable for her.

At firt, she sounded open to the idea, but then when I told her Master K's girlfriend was going (the two didn't hit it off at all when they met), Batgirl backed down and said "I have plans with my friends." I have my doubts she really does, but using that excuse was good enough for me. We hung up and I later let Nern know it was last minute and she already made plans with a friend.

Later on, I called Batgirl to discuss an idea for what we could do tonight and she brought up the bachelorette party. She gave me the okay to give her cell phone number in order for Angel to call her and she could meet up with the group for a drink. She felt like it would be disrespecting Angel if she didn't go at all, and it could make for an awkward time at the birthday bash next weekend. I was glad she wanted to take this step, but a part of me said,"Hey--the fact she wants to make an effort is good enough for me."

I told her she shouldn't compromise her plans to make me happy. I just wanted her to give Shep (Master K's girl and possible future wife) a break at the party next week and make an effort to get to know the girls a little better. I went on to say I understood that just because all us guys are such great pals doesn't mean the girls will blend. We've known each over 20 years, and our women are not acquaintances by choice. She is willing to try, but she finally explained her distaste for Shep.

Apparently, the night she met her and some of the others in the group, she didn't like the way Shep was delving into The Attorney's sex life with his girl (who was absent, as usual). She doesn't like to divulge in such private info, be it about her or another person, and didn't want to be a part of the conversation. I wasn't really aware of this talk at the bar we were at since I was playing pool. I see things her way a bit better now, but told her that it isn't a bad thing to politely say "I'm sorry, but I'm just not comfortable talking about my sex life with That 30's Guy," if the situation turned to her. Hey--people have their pet peeves, and I can accept that.

On the flip side, Shep was coming off as a bitch that night, and there are whispers among the guys (and Master K's own family) that she may not be the best thing for our good friend. Perhaps Batgirl may be a better judge of character than the rest of us.

I'm rather satisfied with the discussion we had, but it would have been cool if Batgirl still gave me the go ahead to give her number to Angel since the girl is making an effort to include her. Perhaps they couldn't get together on that night, but some other time. The two have a profession in common, close in age, and have always been cordial when we've hung out. There's got to be something they can talk about! Ah well. We haven't seen each other all week, and I'm looking forward to spending the night together--alone--and relaxing. It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks.

Enjoy the weekend!

7 days until I get out of jail (er, last day at this job)

posted by That 30's Guy @ 12:41 PM,

|

<< Home