Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

Take This Job And Shove It!

Finally. Finally That 30's Guy is breaking free from the chains of hell.

Otherwise known as...my job.

Two years of looking, applying, resume tailoring, interviewing, and banging my head on my desk finally paid off this morning.

As longtime readers of my previous blog know, I was never happy with my job. I bitched about it a lot, either on the blog, or to my friends, or to ex-girlfriend last summer. She was as miserable as I was in her place, and we turned to each other for comfort (FYI, based on what I'm reading on her blog, she unfortunately is reliving the same nightmare). Still, they paid me well, gave me perks like tickets to ball games on the third baseline, but just couldn't seem to run a competent office.

Since the days when I first started 4 1/2 years ago, the place has declined from a well-oiled machine with harmonious people, to a disorganized mess with drones moping around. Two years ago, they resassigned my responsibilities to do a job of two people, while leaving my customers whom I handled very well in the lurch. Imagine: an inside sales office where NO ONE has assigned accounts. Instead, when customers call in, they are thrust to "first-available." My old customers refused to let me move on. To this day, I still have to take care them while doing my job of two people. I guess when the guy you report to is 5 years your junior and his last name is on the side of the building, these type of things will happen. To this development...

For some time my cousin encouraged me to apply to the company he works for. It has grown in size to about 4 times the # of employees, and will be moving into its third building in his four years there in 2007. I finally applied in the Spring, and got the call to come in for an interview last month. I interviewed very well, and within a few days I received an offer. Unfortunately, the pay was $6K under my current salary. No could do. I wrote off the opportunity and kept my eyes peeled for new ones elsewhere on Monster.com and Careerbuilder.com. Then, 2 weeks ago I come home to a message from another hiring manager in this company who proposed I meet with him about some other positions their looking to fill. The hiring manager who interivewed me in June spoke highly of me and encouraged this guy to pursue a meeting. We set the date for today, and within 15 minutes, I got an offer close to what I'm making. I honestly didn't expect it, and I jumped. Batgirl was the first person I called, and her excitement for me brought an even bigger smile to my face. She was so happy for me, as has been my friends and family today.

It seems it still hasn't hit me yet. The whole thing seems surreal. Is this actually going to happen? It can't be? Thing is, it's a reality. I will be receiving an offer letter in the mail in the next couple of days, and by this time on Monday I will have put in my two weeks notice. I will begin my new job the day after my 30th birthday. Can you believe it?!

My leaving will cause a state of chaos in an already chaotic environment. I don't look forward to the closed door talks with Boy Wonder, his older brother (the VP--who happens to be MY age), and their father, the owner, next week. I know they will be disappointed and a bit hurt, but this is what's best for me. My earning potential and ability to grow professionally will skyrocket in this new job; I don't have that type of future where I am now. It's time to take on a new challenge.

Wow. I guess that crossroads I was looking at a year ago is finally straightening out.

posted by That 30's Guy @ 6:46 PM,

|

<< Home