Listed on BlogShares So...This Is My 30's?


 

My 20's have been left behind and my 30's has begun. This is my journey into the next phase of adulthood.

So, should I be feeling any different?

Two Weeks Notice

For all of you waiting in anticipation of a dramatic resignation at my job today are going to be, well, disappointed. The talk with my "Boy Wonder" boss was anticlimactic to say the least.

For as nervous as I was, I kept calm as I explained that I had accepted a new position at a fast-growing company, and it was an opportunity too good for me to pass up. Basically, he reacted with a smile and said "Congratulations." I don't think he is shocked by my leaving, to be honest. About a year ago he and I had a long talk about my place in the company. When he asked me to start thinking about where I saw myself with the company in the future, I immediately responded with,"I honestly don't see where else I can go here." Perhaps he has a better memory than I gave him credit for.

I remained mum the rest of the morning, but at lunch he took out the two senior-most members of my department to inform them of my move. I decided it was time to start letting the office know. The funny thing is, the members of management who have been with this company for a long time greeted the news with,"You lucky S.O.B."

If that isn't an indication of just how right this move is, than I don't what is.

Tuesday's task will be to see if I can get the vacation pay owed to me. As of my last paycheck, I have 122 hours due. That is over 3 weeks. My parents believe that for some reason I should be getting this. I don't see how. 3 Weeks is a lot of cash on my salary. My mom went off on a rant tonight and advised me that if I'm told they won't pay me that vacation time, then I should tell them I will be using it right away because I'm entitled to it. Anyone out there agree or disagree with the parentals? Is this a valid request of an outgoing employee? I'm of the belief you don't burn bridges, and for a company that has handed me baseball tickets, taken me on trips, and given me generous raises, I think going out like that is as Bush league as A-Rod's swat at Bronson Arroyo's glove when he was being tagged out in game 6 of the 2004 ALCS (right).

The coming days should be very interesting since I have not sat down with the owner of the company (Boy Wonder's dad, who is the guy that hired me in the first place) or the VP (who is the oldest son and of the same age as me, and a main reason many in management are unhappy). Of the two, I expect the oldest son to give me a little bit of a hard time, but perhaps this will be the epiphany for him that something's wrong with the company because they can't keep great people. In the meantime, I'll keep working and do what I can to help my soon-to-be co-workers deal with the void I leave behind. It's the least I can do for them because it's going to be a long, hard road for the rest of the summer.

posted by That 30's Guy @ 9:57 PM,

|

<< Home